Saturday, July 2, 2011

Collectorz.com Book Collector Software

I have a lot of books. This year I purchased the Collectorz.com Book Collector software. It is "pretty good." (or 3/5 stars). If there were only one version and it was $29, I would say this is great, but for the mid sized collector of paperbacks and such, this is not a great deal.

The interface is a bit clumsy. It appears that it is written in an interpreted language, as it is quite slow and the screen flashes on my i7 12 gig gaming machine all the time.

My biggest gripe is that in the age of reasonably priced software they cripple a few features (like export to XML/other and bulk editing) and charge almost 50% more for that feature!

If I knew the database format they were using, I could go in and edit by hand. Also, without the export feature, you are stuck forever with their program. My recommendation is:

1) Don't buy it unless you buy the pro.
2) Consider alternatives -- if you don't need details on the book, just use Excel and a macro or two.

Other flaws: The data entry for "add new book" automatically does not have a way of adding other fields immediately (e.g. I would like to simultaneous add the location).

No comments: